Before I start, I must acknowledge the fact that I know there is a lot of [new] controversy surrounding Kanye West. However, it does not negate the fact that he is one of the most creative people of our time. He has certainly had a hand in influencing everything that makes up pop culture today. While there is a lot that can be [and has been] said about Kanye, we cannot ignore how much his creativity has affected our lives and the way we view the world. No matter how far fetched his idealisms may seem or how rude and crude some of his mannerisms are displayed, there is a certain freedom that comes along with being Yeezus.
My fandom for Kanye goes back to Through The Wire. I remember how amazed I was that he not only survived what he survived, but he was actually telling the story through it. That was one of the best musical moments in hip hop I’ve had to date. I saw Kanye live last September (luckily he gave Dallas a whole show). As I experienced the lyrics of each of my favorite songs, I couldn’t help but vividly remember why I fell in love with the genius of Kanye West. Despite his rants and surprise meetings with our new president, I can still remember where I was and how I felt when I heard my favorite Yeezy songs for the first time. As much as society wants to dismiss all the good, it just doesn’t die with controversy. With that being said, here are the ten things I’ve learned over the years from Mr. West, and the reasons I can still find room in my heart to understand where he is (even if I don’t agree).
- “It’s a life or death situation.” ~ Through The Wire
- No matter what we face in life, if we live through those experiences [no matter how bad or rough] there is an awesome opportunity to rise above.
- “God show me the way because the devil trying to break me down.” ~ Jesus Walks
- Our faith is never too far out of reach. We always seem to always gravitate back to that which was instilled in us and that is to call on God in the most difficult times. There is no shame in faith.
- “Before the day I die, I’mma touch the sky.” ~ Touch The Sky
- Never forget the dreams and ultimate goals. When we’ve reached the bottom, there’s no where to go but up. Nothing is more motivating than a taste of what could be. Keep working until you reach your sky.
- “But she ain’t messin wit no broke…” ~ Gold Digger
- [Deep Sigh – LOL] How many of us felt bad about having this particular standard until this song liberated us? I haven’t met a girl yet who has said, “I don’t want a man to spoil me.” I WANT THAT! Thanks Ye. There’s no need to explain this one. LOL
- “To me giving up’s way harder than trying.” ~ Champion
- Never stop.
- “Screams from the haters got a nice ring to it….” ~ Power
- Sometimes we must use the negativity to fuel the best in us. People can say whatever they want about you, it is ultimately you who decides who you will be. If you want to be great in life, just be great. No one can stop you but you.
- “They say I’m crazy, but I’m bout to go dumb again.” ~ Otis
- Embrace exactly who you are and then multiply who you are by ten. Never be afraid to live in the truth that you are the best at what you do. Embody the idea that with every experience you only get better.
- “I’ll never be picture perfect Beyonce…” ~ Everything I Am
- We must embrace everything that makes us who we are. Even our flaws contribute to our greatness. There aren’t any perfect people. Comparison is truly the thief of happiness.
- “I’m such a show off.” ~ Lift Off
- I love how proud Kanye is of himself. I don’t apologize for admiring his cockiness. It’s amazing to have the freedom to say “I’m the – and there’s nothing anyone can do about it!”
- “And I love you like Kanye loves Kanye.” ~ I Love Kanye
- Whatever they’ve said, you’re obligated to always be true to who you are. The naysayers and critics aren’t going anywhere. You can’t become so fixated on the things people say. You get one shot at this life. Your only option is to live to the best of your ability in your absolute truth. Stand tall in what you love and ever get caught apologizing for who you’re not.
Get The Look:
Oversized Denim Jacket: Vintage (Mom’s Closet); Long Sleeve Tee: Saint Pablo Tour Merch – Sydney (Boyfriend found it to commemorate our first trip to Sydney last summer, article coming soon); Grey Sweats: Rag & Bone; Boots: Gucci; Dad Hat: Saint Pablo Tour Merch – Dallas; Shades: Dior Square Abstract Havana Sunglasses